Recently a supermarket worker won £50,884 in a sexual harassment claim after her manager made inappropriate comments which she was told to ‘take as a compliment.’ The Tribunal concluded ‘there was a lack of training for staff at all levels on what was acceptable behaviour.’
Please note – training is key! The lack of training identified by the Judge in this case would have formed part of their thought process and ultimate judgment.
In the workplace it’s essential to create an environment where all employees feel safe and respected and free from harassment. Countless sexual harassment cases still happen often hidden behind the guise of ‘banter’ or well-intentioned compliments.
Incidents like this highlight the urgent need for businesses to provide training to create awareness, prevent such harassment and transform their workplace culture. Training can cover:
- Creating awareness – what constitutes sexual harassment.
- Setting boundaries – creates clear guidelines for acceptable behaviour.
- Changing perceptions – challenges the notions of ‘banter.’
- Promoting accountability – educates employees about their rights and employers on their duty to address issues promptly.
- Cultivating inclusivity – highlights the importance of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
What are the benefits of training?
- Improved morale
- Reduction of legal risk
- Enhanced reputation
Contact us at Peach Law, we will work with you and your business to deliver training to ensure your place of work is safe, inclusive and productive.
? Connect with us on LinkedIn – Peach Law (HR & Employment Law Specialists)
? 0161 478 3800